The next time you find yourself with leftover egg whites, make a batch of Meringue Kisses. They're completely addictive crispy sweet little pillows of air that melt in your mouth. Don't say I didn't warn you!
Vanilla Bean Meringue Kisses
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- a pinch of fine salt
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- Preheat oven to 225F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, place the egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla bean paste, and a pinch of salt; use a whisk to mix the ingredients and break up the eggs until they're frothy.
- Place bowl on stand mixer and use whip attachment to whip egg whites until they reach soft peaks; sprinkle sugar in slowly and continue whipping until the whites are glossy and they reach the stiff peak stage.
- Place meringue in a large pastry bag fitted with a large round tip or large open star tip and pipe kisses on 2 silicone lined sheet pans.
- Bake meringue kisses at 225F oven for 90 minutes, then turn the oven off and allow meringues to cool completely without opening the door (I often leave them in there overnight). Store in an airtight container. Makes 100 meringue cookies.
Note: for best results, do not attempt to make meringues during high humidity weather.