Okay, I know these cookies are never going to win the "best looking" award, but there's no question they would definitely win the delicious-crispy-chewy-caramelized-yumminess category. The recipe is adapted from one sent by a good friend - her local spice vendor serves them every year at their annual Christmas party. I'm not surprised they rock!
Ingredients: Lyle's Golden Syrup, flour, baking soda, vanilla sugar (or granulated sugar), and butter. A note on the golden syrup - it's rich, caramelized flavor is simply amazing. It's available in bottles, jars, and cans. The bottles are easiest to dispense, but it really doesn't matter which one you find - just buy it! You'll thank me later.
I like to make my own vanilla sugar - after I use a vanilla bean, I rinse it and let it dry, then I tuck it inside a jar with granulated sugar. I keep adding used vanilla bean pods and more sugar so I always have a good supply on hand.
Have you had the pleasure of discovering Lyle's golden syrup yet? It's the magic ingredient in this recipe.
Time to make the cookies - cream the butter, sugar, and golden syrup together.
Whisk together the dry ingredients and add them to the butter/sugar mixture.
Mix again, until the golden syrup and flour mixture are evenly combined with the butter and sugar. A BeaterBlade attachment eliminates the fussy need to stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl.
Divide the cookie dough into 4 equal portions. You can eye-ball it, but I like to use a digital scale to ensure all my portions are exactly the same size.
Roll each portion on cookie dough into a 12-inch long log and place two on a silpat lined half sheet pan.
Bake the logs in a preheated 350F oven for 12-15 minutes until the logs flatten and spread like this. Cool on sheet pan before cutting with a serrated knife.
Aaahhhh... I wish you could taste one of these cookies right now!!!!!
Make them, make them, make them!!
Bruna Kakor (Brown Cookies)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar (or granulated sugar), *plus 2 more if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare 2 half sheet pans with parchment or silpat liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a BeaterBlade attachment, cream the butter, sugar, and golden syrup together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, vanilla sugar, and salt; add to the stand mixer with the creamed butter/sugar mixture and mix to combine.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions; roll each portion into a 12-inch log.
- Place two logs on each half sheet pan and flatten slightly.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the logs spread and turn golden brown. *If desired, sprinkle each log with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla sugar halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven and allow the cookie logs cool before transferring to a cutting board.
- Using a serrated knife, cut each log in half once lengthwise, then width-wise every 1/2-inch or so.