I enjoyed coconut macaroons at a gathering not long ago and it made me think, "it's been a long time since I made macaroons." So naturally, I rushed home to whip up a batch. If you like soft, chewy, coconutty cookies - these, my friend, are for you! They're extremely easy to make since they contain only 3 ingredients (4 if you drizzle them with chocolate). And did I mention they're Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, and suitable for Passover?
Start with 1 pound of sweetened coconut flakes. Be sure to you don't get desiccated coconut, which is very dry. I buy Baker's Angel Flake.
As you see, I use a safety can opener, even though the can of sweetened condensed milk has a pull-top because the pull-top leaves a sharp edge.
See? Nice smooth edge that won't ruin my spatulas or cut my fingers.
In goes the Vanilla Bean Paste. Can you see all the little seeds? They're packed full of flavor.
Mix well. I like to use my BeaterBlade attachment so I don't have to stop and scrape down the sides of my mixing bowl.
Dip your fingertips in water and roll each portion of cookie dough into a ball.
Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the cookies start to turn brown and caramelized around the edges. Mmmm. Allow the cookies to cool completely before removing from the silicone lined sheet pans. They'll be too soft to move before then.
When the cookies are completely cool, drizzle with a little melted chocolate. I placed my chocolate in a zip-top bag and microwaved it for 30 seconds at a time until it was completely melted. Then I cut a very, very small hole in the corner of the bag and drizzled it over the cookies.
And that's all there is to making these soft and chewy coconut flavor bombs. Go make some macaroons!
Some of the items used to make this recipe:
- sweetened flaked coconut http://amzn.to/2ladqsB
- sweetened condensed milk http://amzn.to/2kNTsaR
- pure vanilla extract http://amzn.to/2lMZsAJ
- pure vanilla bean paste http://amzn.to/2lHoalt
- half sheet pan http://amzn.to/2lHnBrR
- nonstick silpat liner http://amzn.to/2lN3iJN
- cooling rack http://amzn.to/2m9kjia
- #50 scoop http://amzn.to/2kO1DUI
- BeaterBlade attachment http://amzn.to/2l1rHa4
- high quality dark chocolate http://amzn.to/2lxaE1M
- KitchenAid stand mixer http://amzn.to/2lHBYfD
Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate Drizzle
makes about 32 cookies (#50 scoop)
- 16 ounces sweetened coconut flakes (about 6 cups)
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
- 1 ounce semisweet or dark chocolate for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 2 half sheet pans with silpat liners.
- Combine coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla.
- Use #50 scoop, packed, to portion cookies.
- Dip fingertips in water and roll cookies into ball shape; space evenly on prepared sheet pans.
- Bake in center of preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until the edges start to turn brown and caramelize.
- Allow macaroons to cool completely on silpats before removing.
- Place chocolate in zip-top bag and melt gently in microwave; snip small hole in corner of bag and drizzle on macaroons.