Shortcake definition: a small cake made of sweet biscuit dough that is typically served as a dessert with fruit and whipped cream.
I rolled the dough until it was a bout 1/2-inch thick, then used the straight side of a double-sided cutter to cut out round biscuit shapes.
This recipe makes 6 shortcakes (plus a bunch of yummy scraps - more about them later).
Give the shortcakes a quick brush with buttermilk before they go in the oven.
Rerolled scraps of dough almost never bake up as well as the first rolling, so here's what I do with them...
I cut them into random pieces and bake them separately - they make a tasty snack.
Since the random pieces are smaller, they'll bake a lot faster so keep an eye on them.
Scratch Strawberry Shortcakes
- 2 cups chopped fresh hulled strawberries
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries and sugar together; chill until needed
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the softened butter; mix until no visible chunks of butter remain.
- Stir in the buttermilk and egg until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn mixture out onto a floured surface and very gently press/knead the mixture together (don't overdo it - we want the shortcakes to remain tender).
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Use 3-inch round cutter to cut out 6 shortcakes.
- Place shortcakes on a silicone lined sheet pan.
- Brush shortcake tops with buttermilk and bake for 40-45 minutes until they're golden brown (internal temp should be 205-210F).
- Cool completely.
Nothing will pair better with these amazing treats than real freshly whipped cream. Once you try it, you'll never go back to the canned stuff, or worse, the frozen non-dairy stuff.
Scratch Whipped Cream
makes 3-4 cups
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk or beat cream, sugar, and vanilla until mixture doubles in volume and thickens considerably. Click here for photos.
- To serve, cut the cooled shortcakes in half and top with generous dollops of whipped cream and strawberries. Enjoy immediately. Recipe makes 6 servings.