Welcome to week 13 of the Alpha Bakers bake-a-long, an online project where a group of food bloggers bake our way through The Baking Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. Most of the recipes made during this project will not be shared, but I will post my commentary followed by a full photo tutorial.
This week's selection - Hamantaschen - a triangular, filled pastry which is traditionally served on the Jewish festival of Purim. Rose's recipe calls for a poppy seed filling, but I made the prune lekvar and apricot lekvar variations listed in the book.
How do they taste - They're okay. We liked the soft vanilla pastry, but we weren't overly crazy for either of the fillings. I think 2 teaspoons of jam-like filling per cookie is a bit much for our taste.
How do they look - They look just like little hats.
Level of difficulty - Intermediate.
Were the directions clear - Yes, although my yield was 18 cookies rather than 24 as the recipe stated. Also, be cautious if you choose to make the prune lekvar variation. The lekvar recipe (pg 107) makes 1/2 cup which is only enough to fill half of the cookies. Thankfully I had leftover apricot lekvar in the fridge to make up the difference.
What would I do differently next time - Try different fillings like fig or Nutella. I might also make them a little smaller.
Next up - Caramel Buns, March 9, 2015.
Okay, here's my photo tutorial.
links to more alpha baker photo tutorials
- Nov 20, 2015 The Hazelnut Praline Cookies that Never Were
- Sep 1, 2015 TBB - Flaky Cream Cheese Scones
- Aug 24, 2015 TBB - Woody's Black and White Brownies
- Jul 2, 2015 TBB - Praline Meringue Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Jun 23, 2015 Ricotta Loaf - The Bread Bible
- Jun 4, 2015 TBB - French Orange Cream Tart
- May 20, 2015 TBB - Double Chocolate Oriolos
- May 16, 2015 Touch of Grace Biscuits - The Bread Bible
- May 8, 2015 TBB - Blu-Rhu Mini Pies
- Apr 27, 2015 TBB - Lemon Jammies
- Apr 2, 2015 Pita Pizzas - The Bread Bible
- Mar 23, 2015 TBB - Luxury Oatmeal Cookies
- Mar 16, 2015 TBB - Sour Cherry Pie (Pi Day)
- Mar 9, 2015 TBB - Caramel Buns
- Mar 4, 2015 TBB - Hamantaschen (Purim)
- Feb 23, 2015 TBB - Lemon Posset Alma
- Feb 16, 2015 TBB - Chocolate Pavarotti with Wicked Good Ganache
- Feb 11, 2015 TBB - Golden Orange Panettone with Chocolate Sauce
- Feb 9, 2015 Panettone Delay
- Feb 2, 2015 TBB - Swedish Apricot Walnut Bread
- Jan 26, 2015 TBB - Gingersnaps
- Jan 19, 2015 Biga Fail
- Jan 13, 2015 TBB - Black and Blueberry Pie
- Jan 6, 2015 TBB - Chocolate Cuddle Cake