Today Rose's Alpha Bakers share our 9th selection as we bake our way through The Baking Bible. As a reminder, the recipes made during this project are not being shared, but I will share my commentary about each recipe, followed by a full photo tutorial.
This week's selection - Gingersnaps.
Special ingredients and/or equipment needed - Lyle's golden syrup, golden bakers sugar, half sheet pans, parchment paper or silpat liners, optional #50 cookie scoop, digital scale, digital instant read thermometer.
How do they taste - Excellent. They ginger flavor is spot on, but they're a little different than common gingersnaps as they are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. You could bake them a minute or two longer if you like them crisp the whole way through.
How do they look - Absolutely lovely. Theses cookies are not as dark brown as commercial gingersnaps, but the beautifully crackled tops and perfectly round appearance make them impossible to resist.
Level of difficulty - Very easy.
Were the directions clear - Yes, but there was one little problem. The recipe called for 3 teaspoons/3 grams of ground ginger, but I noticed 3 teaspoons of ground ginger actually weighs 6 grams. I posted a question on our group's facebook page and Rose quickly replied that the correct weight for the ground ginger should be 6 grams so make a note in your book if you have a printing that lists 3 grams. The mystery of why the volume measurement specified is 3 teaspoons instead of 1 tablespoon remains.
What would I do differently next time - Double the recipe and make more!
Next up - Swedish Apricot Walnut Bread, February 2, 2015.
Okay, here's my photo tutorial.
- Nov 20, 2015 The Hazelnut Praline Cookies that Never Were
- Sep 1, 2015 TBB - Flaky Cream Cheese Scones
- Aug 24, 2015 TBB - Woody's Black and White Brownies
- Jul 2, 2015 TBB - Praline Meringue Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Jun 23, 2015 Ricotta Loaf - The Bread Bible
- Jun 4, 2015 TBB - French Orange Cream Tart
- May 20, 2015 TBB - Double Chocolate Oriolos
- May 16, 2015 Touch of Grace Biscuits - The Bread Bible
- May 8, 2015 TBB - Blu-Rhu Mini Pies
- Apr 27, 2015 TBB - Lemon Jammies
- Apr 2, 2015 Pita Pizzas - The Bread Bible
- Mar 23, 2015 TBB - Luxury Oatmeal Cookies
- Mar 16, 2015 TBB - Sour Cherry Pie (Pi Day)
- Mar 9, 2015 TBB - Caramel Buns
- Mar 4, 2015 TBB - Hamantaschen (Purim)
- Feb 23, 2015 TBB - Lemon Posset Alma
- Feb 16, 2015 TBB - Chocolate Pavarotti with Wicked Good Ganache
- Feb 11, 2015 TBB - Golden Orange Panettone with Chocolate Sauce
- Feb 9, 2015 Panettone Delay
- Feb 2, 2015 TBB - Swedish Apricot Walnut Bread
- Jan 26, 2015 TBB - Gingersnaps
- Jan 19, 2015 Biga Fail
- Jan 13, 2015 TBB - Black and Blueberry Pie
- Jan 6, 2015 TBB - Chocolate Cuddle Cake