Today Rose's Alpha Bakers share our 5th selection as we bake our way through The Baking Bible. Usually the recipes in this bake-a-long are not shared, but this week's recipe is available here. Don't miss my commentary about the recipe, followed by a full photo tutorial below.
This week's selection - Frozen Pecan Tart, a unique twist on traditional pecan pie. After all the Christmas baking I did last week, I was tempted to skip this week, but I decided it's nice to have a dessert tucked away in the freezer so I made it. Glad I did - it's delish!
Special equipment needed - Half sheet pan, plastic wrap, 9.5" tart pan, rolling pin, optional digital scale (for the most precise measuring possible), a digital instant read thermometer, an adjustable cake ring, an 8" round cake pan, and a set of pastry wands.
How does it taste - In a word, amazing! The filling is simply the best pecan tart filling ever. Actually, as much as I love pecans, I'd happily eat this tart without any pecans at all - similar to a treacle tart, only better.
How does it look - Impressive. There's just something about concentric circles of pecans swimming in a pool of caramel filling. Heck, even if you just tossed the pecans in haphazardly, the tart would still look impressive.
Level of difficulty - Intermediate. The Pate Sucree (sweet dough) crust and tart filling are very easy to make, but rolling the dough and placing it in the tart pan can be a bit challenging. Special care is needed when baking the tart shell too.
Were the directions clear - Yes, although they are quite lengthy.
A few bakers in the group had trouble understanding the directions for rolling and placing the crust into the tart pan, but if you follow my photos (or the photos on page 225 in the book), you shouldn't have any trouble.
What would I do differently next time - Absolutely nothing (or I half- jokingly suggest maybe omitting the pecans and doubling up on the filling because it's so darn good). Making mini tarts would also be nice.
Next up - Chocolate Cuddle Cake, Jan 5, 2015.
Okay, here's my photo tutorial.
links to more alpha baker photo tutorials
- Nov 20, 2015 The Hazelnut Praline Cookies that Never Were
- Sep 1, 2015 TBB - Flaky Cream Cheese Scones
- Aug 24, 2015 TBB - Woody's Black and White Brownies
- Jul 2, 2015 TBB - Praline Meringue Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Jun 23, 2015 Ricotta Loaf - The Bread Bible
- Jun 4, 2015 TBB - French Orange Cream Tart
- May 20, 2015 TBB - Double Chocolate Oriolos
- May 16, 2015 Touch of Grace Biscuits - The Bread Bible
- May 8, 2015 TBB - Blu-Rhu Mini Pies
- Apr 27, 2015 TBB - Lemon Jammies
- Apr 2, 2015 Pita Pizzas - The Bread Bible
- Mar 23, 2015 TBB - Luxury Oatmeal Cookies
- Mar 16, 2015 TBB - Sour Cherry Pie (Pi Day)
- Mar 9, 2015 TBB - Caramel Buns
- Mar 4, 2015 TBB - Hamantaschen (Purim)
- Feb 23, 2015 TBB - Lemon Posset Alma
- Feb 16, 2015 TBB - Chocolate Pavarotti with Wicked Good Ganache
- Feb 11, 2015 TBB - Golden Orange Panettone with Chocolate Sauce
- Feb 9, 2015 Panettone Delay
- Feb 2, 2015 TBB - Swedish Apricot Walnut Bread
- Jan 26, 2015 TBB - Gingersnaps
- Jan 19, 2015 Biga Fail
- Jan 13, 2015 TBB - Black and Blueberry Pie
- Jan 6, 2015 TBB - Chocolate Cuddle Cake