Welcome to the Alpha Bakers bake-a-long, an online project where a group of food bloggers bake our way through The Baking Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. Most of the recipes made during this project will not be shared, but I will post my commentary followed by a full photo tutorial.
How do they taste - The raw dough is particularly tasty. The finished cookies are good, but will vary in lemon intensity depending on what you use to fill them. Lemon curd obviously will impart the most intense lemon flavor; lemon buttercream, a little less so. Raspberry jam takes away from the overall lemon quality, but raspberry and lemon compliment one another beautifully.
Note: these cookies are best eaten the day they are made. They turn to little bricks quickly, even when stored in an airtight container.
How do they look - Beautiful and somewhat feminine. I think these cookies would be perfect served at a ladies tea.
Level of difficulty - Fairly easy. I add some tips of my own that are not included in the book, but they really help produce professional looking cookies.
Were the directions clear - Yes, but I'm starting to wonder if Rose owns stock in plastic wrap. Lol.
What would I do differently next time - Flavor-wise, they're perfect, but I might try changing up the shape of the cutouts next time.
Next up - BlueRhu Pie, May 4, 2015. I really dislike rhubarb so I doubt I'll be making that recipe, however, I may make one of the recipes I missed instead.
Okay, here's my photo tutorial.
links for more alpha baker photo tutorials
- Nov 20, 2015 The Hazelnut Praline Cookies that Never Were
- Sep 1, 2015 TBB - Flaky Cream Cheese Scones
- Aug 24, 2015 TBB - Woody's Black and White Brownies
- Jul 2, 2015 TBB - Praline Meringue Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Jun 23, 2015 Ricotta Loaf - The Bread Bible
- Jun 4, 2015 TBB - French Orange Cream Tart
- May 20, 2015 TBB - Double Chocolate Oriolos
- May 16, 2015 Touch of Grace Biscuits - The Bread Bible
- May 8, 2015 TBB - Blu-Rhu Mini Pies
- Apr 27, 2015 TBB - Lemon Jammies
- Apr 2, 2015 Pita Pizzas - The Bread Bible
- Mar 23, 2015 TBB - Luxury Oatmeal Cookies
- Mar 16, 2015 TBB - Sour Cherry Pie (Pi Day)
- Mar 9, 2015 TBB - Caramel Buns
- Mar 4, 2015 TBB - Hamantaschen (Purim)
- Feb 23, 2015 TBB - Lemon Posset Alma
- Feb 16, 2015 TBB - Chocolate Pavarotti with Wicked Good Ganache
- Feb 11, 2015 TBB - Golden Orange Panettone with Chocolate Sauce
- Feb 9, 2015 Panettone Delay
- Feb 2, 2015 TBB - Swedish Apricot Walnut Bread
- Jan 26, 2015 TBB - Gingersnaps
- Jan 19, 2015 Biga Fail
- Jan 13, 2015 TBB - Black and Blueberry Pie
- Jan 6, 2015 TBB - Chocolate Cuddle Cake