Here's a crowd-pleasing, drippy, cheesy, delicious hot sandwich recipe for you to try. I brought a huge batch to a function recently and they were very well received - Enjoy!
Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches with Onion Butter
makes 8 kaiser rolls, 16 dinner rolls, or 1 loaf of french bread
- 8 large or 16 small rolls (or a long loaf of french bread)
- 1/2 pound shaved ham (excellent quality please)
- 1/2 pound your favorite sliced cheese (any cheese that will melt well)
- 8 tablespoons salted butter (yes, salted)
- 1/2 cup very finely minced onion
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard (Dijon or spicy brown)
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- To make the onion butter, combine ingredients in a small sauce pan and heat gently just until the butter is melted and all the ingredients are well combined; cool to a spreadable consistency.
- To prepare sandwiches, place roll bottoms, cut side up on a sheet pan.
- Spread 1/2 the onion butter evenly onto the halves, top with 1/2 the cheese, next add all the ham, now add remaining cheese, and end with the rest of the onion butter.
- Replace roll tops, cover pan with foil, and heat in a 300F oven for 10-15 minutes until the sandwiches are heated through and the cheese melts.
- Sandwiches can also be wrapped in foil and placed in a slow cooker on high heat until cheese melts, about an hour.