Got cooked potatoes leftover from your St. Patrick's Day celebration? Break out your cast iron skillet and make these delicious, crispy home fries.
Anytime I cook red potatoes, I like to make extra just so I can turn them into home fries the next day. Who doesn't love home fries? Here's how I make them - I cut them in half, then cube them.
I preheat a cast iron skillet and add a little olive oil and butter.
When the pan is nice and hot, I add the potatoes, being careful to get as much cut surface contact with the hot pan. Don't mess around moving the potatoes - they'll release from the pan naturally when a nice crust forms on that cut surface.
Like this! Now you can start tossing and stirring the potatoes until they're crispy all over. A minute or so before serving, add the salt, pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, and sliced scallions - stir well until fragrant (30-60 seconds). Serve immediately.
Try not to eat the entire batch before they make it to the table. Enjoy!
Crispy Home Fries
makes 4 servings
- 1 pound cooked red potatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Melt butter in olive oil; add potatoes, cut side down and don't move them until the surface touching the skillet is brown and crispy.
- Stir potatoes frequently until crispy all over.
- Add salt, pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, and scallions; toss and stir until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Serve immediately.