Have you been seeing the crazy coffee concoction all over the internet that combines black coffee with coconut oil and butter? I know, I know. It's CRAZY! Who in the world would ever think of such a thing? I suspect the coconut oil industry - lol. I mean, it's so bizarre and weird and intriguing that you just have to head into the kitchen to give it a try. At least that's what I was thinking.
So I did just that. I made it and my husband liked it a lot. I'm not really a coffee drinker, but I thought it was okay. Then again, I thought I could improve the flavor a bit so my new version has the addition of really good dark chocolate. For the record, we both liked the chocolate version much better. If you decide to give this recipe a try, be sure to use quality ingredients - you don't want to end up with a mug of hot, bitter-tasting yuckiness. Just saying.
Okay, here we go. We start with strong, freshly brewed, hot coffee in a blender.
Next we're going to add unrefined coconut oil. Yes, coconut oil. I know. CRAZY, I tell you!
Ugh... I can hardly believe I'm showing you this, but in it goes.
Next we add butter. Salted or unsalted, it doesn't really matter. Insane though, right? I know. I know!
I add one square per serving.
Turn the blender on low until the coconut oil, butter, and chocolate melt.
Then crank up the speed to high so the concoction emulsifies and gets frothy.
That's it - serve immediately. Now go make some so you can tell your grandkids you took part in this crazy food fad.
Muddy Mocha Madness
- 1 cup (8 ounces) hot, freshly-brewed strong coffee
- 1/2 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon butter (salted or unsalted, doesn't really matter)
- 90% cocoa dark chocolate (we like Lindt, but feel free to use your favorite)
- In a Vitamix blender, combine all the ingredients and blend on low until the coconut oil, butter, and chocolate melt.
- Increase speed to high and blend until mixture emulsifies and gets frothy.
- Serve immediately.