Jalapeno poppers are always a hit, but wrap them in bacon and fahgettaboudit. Your family and friends will beg you to make these again and again.
Note: to kick up the heat factor, substitute cheddar cheese with pepper jack!
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- 10 Jalapeno peppers
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar or pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 10 slices bacon (standard thickness)
- disposable food safe gloves and eye protection suggested
- Preheat oven to 400F with the rack in the upper middle position.
- Place an oven-safe cooling rack into a rimmed sheet pan.
- Protect hands and eyes with disposable food-safe gloves and goggles.
- Wash jalapeno peppers and cut in half lengthwise.
- Carefully remove seeds and membranes from each
- Jalapeno half (protective goggles are very important here - eyeglasses or even sunglasses will work if you don't have goggles).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, cheddar or pepper jack cheese, and garlic salt.
- Fill each jalapeno half with the cheese mixture, being sure not to overfill.
- Wrap each jalapeno half with a slice of bacon and place on the cooling rack.
- Baking in oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the bacon is cooked the way you like it. If you like your bacon a little more crisp, place it under the broiler for a minute or so.
- Remove poppers from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring them to a serving platter. Be sure to have plenty of napkins on hand.
Note: the photos show me wrapping each popper with a half of a slice of bacon, but I failed to consider the fact that bacon shrinks in the oven so from now on I'll use an entire slice of bacon.