Little ButterYum made these muffins for me on Mother's Day. What a wonderful treat they were. Thank you, my love!
Chocolate Applesauce Muffins
makes 18 (140 calories each)
adapted from The Low GI Cookbook
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick baking spray or paper liners.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light in color, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and cocoa powder; mix until smooth.
- Fold in applesauce.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and mix just until combined (don't over mix).
- Fill cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake 22-25 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a couple crumbs attached.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan, placing on cooling rack to cool completely.
Note: I think almond would be a nice flavor variation - I'll give it a try and report back soon..