Welcome to the Alpha Bakers bake-a-long, an online project where a group of food bloggers bake our way through The Baking Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. Most of the recipes made during this project will not be shared, but I will post my commentary followed by a full photo tutorial.
This week's selection - Flaky Cream Cheese Scones. A cream cheese based scone with grated lemon zest and dried blueberries or cranberries. I chose to make the cranberry version and I served them with Homemade Clotted Cream (recipe here).
How do they taste - Delightful - soft, billowy, and full of wonderful flavor. I especially like how the touch of lemon zest pairs with the dried cranberries.
How do they look - Scrumptious - golden brown and glistening with turbinado sugar (my addition).
Level of difficulty - They're easy, but I don't think this should be the first scone recipe a newbie or unseasoned baker should try. There are more simple recipes out there for beginners.
Were the directions clear - Yes, but this recipe is labeled quick and easy, which I don't completely agree with. They're fairly easy, but there are a lot of time consuming steps so not quick in my book. The butter and cream cheese had to be diced and then chilled - the cranberries had to be cut, one by one, into small pieces - the heavy cream had to be whipped to soft peaks - the itty bitty butter cubes had to be smashed into the flour, one by one - the scone dough had to be chilled before baking. Definitely not quick.
What would I do differently next time - I'd love to try to make these using a food processor. Also, this recipe makes 8 very generously sized scones so I would reduce the recipe by half or freeze half of the scone dough before baking. There is a reference to directions for freezing the unbaked scones printed in the book, but I didn't see it until it was too late.
Okay, here's my photo tutorial.
- Nov 19, 2015 The Hazelnut Praline Cookies that Never Were
- Sep 1, 2015 TBB - Flaky Cream Cheese Scones
- Aug 23, 2015 TBB - Woody's Black and White Brownies
- Jul 1, 2015 TBB - Praline Meringue Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Jun 23, 2015 Ricotta Loaf - The Bread Bible
- Jun 4, 2015 TBB - French Orange Cream Tart
- May 19, 2015 TBB - Double Chocolate Oriolos
- May 15, 2015 Touch of Grace Biscuits - The Bread Bible
- May 7, 2015 TBB - Blu-Rhu Mini Pies
- Apr 27, 2015 TBB - Lemon Jammies
- Apr 2, 2015 Pita Pizzas - The Bread Bible
- Mar 22, 2015 TBB - Luxury Oatmeal Cookies
- Mar 15, 2015 TBB - Sour Cherry Pie (Pi Day)
- Mar 9, 2015 TBB - Caramel Buns
- Mar 4, 2015 TBB - Hamantaschen (Purim)
- Feb 23, 2015 TBB - Lemon Posset Alma
- Feb 15, 2015 TBB - Chocolate Pavarotti with Wicked Good Ganache
- Feb 11, 2015 TBB - Golden Orange Panettone with Chocolate Sauce
- Feb 9, 2015 Panettone Delay
- Feb 2, 2015 TBB - Swedish Apricot Walnut Bread
- Jan 26, 2015 TBB - Gingersnaps
- Jan 19, 2015 Biga Fail
- Jan 12, 2015 TBB - Black and Blueberry Pie
- Jan 5, 2015 TBB - Chocolate Cuddle Cake