I don't know about your family, but we love our mashed potatoes lumpy. We like to keep the skin on our potatoes too. Have I lost you yet? Lol. Have no fear, if you prefer smooth mashed potatoes with no skins, peel them and mash them until smooth or press the potatoes through a potato ricer.
makes 5 pounds
- 5 pounds red skinned potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- salted water to cover potatoes
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion or onion powder
- kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley, crushed
- 1 bunch of chives, chopped
- Place potatoes in a 6-quart stock pot and add enough salted water to cover the potatoes by an inch or two.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook the potatoes until tender.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot.
- Add butter, milk, granulated onion, salt, pepper, dried parsley, and most of the chives (save some for garnish).
- Use a potato masher to mash potatoes and the other ingredients together until combined well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Garnish with reserved chives and serve.