My last CSA Delivery included Asian Long Beans. I blanched them and tossed them with an Asian-inspired mix of ginger, soy, garlic, and mushrooms to make a really delicious side dish.
Asian Long Beans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound long beans, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated ginger (or ginger paste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- sesame seeds for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, blanch long beans for a couple of minutes until they're crisp tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat butter and oil together.
- Saute onions and mushrooms, with salt and pepper to taste, until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms begin to caramelize.
- Add the crushed garlic and crushed red pepper flakes; saute for 30-60 seconds or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add grated ginger, honey, and soy; stir to combine.
- Add blanched long beans and cook for just a couple of minutes, stirring to combine.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.