Chicken and Broccoli is one of the most popular take-out dishes and it's no wonder, the stuff is delish! Wanna make it at home? Here's a simple recipe you can throw together in no time. It's sure to become a family favorite!
Start by marinating the chicken by combining the chicken, scallions, half the garlic, half the ginger, sugar, seasoned rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1 teaspoon cornstarch. Also, in a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup water with 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Set both aside until needed.
In a very large skillet, heat half the oil with the remaining garlic and ginger.
Saute over medium-high heat for about a minute or until fragrant.
Add the broccoli and chicken stock to the pan.
And add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes (optional). Stir often until the broccoli is cooked to your desired doneness - we like it tender, but still a little crisp.
Remove broccoli and any remaining chicken stock from the pan; set aside.
In the same pan, heat the remaining oil.
Add the chicken and all the marinade.
Stir occasionally until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Return the broccoli and chicken stock to the pan.
Stir everything together.
Time to add the cornstarch mixture, but first give it a good stir.
Add cornstarch slurry to the pan and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until pan juices thicken. Serve immediately over rice or noodles.
Items used to make this recipe:
Chicken and Broccoli
makes 4 servings
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated (or 1 tablespoon of ginger paste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch, divided
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 5-6 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 pinches of kosher salt
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- optional: a pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes
Marinade the Chicken:
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, scallions, half the garlic, half the ginger, sugar, seasoned rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1 teaspoon cornstarch; set aside.
Prepare the Slurry:
- In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup water with 1 tablespoon cornstarch; set aside.
Cook the Broccoli:
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and cook the remaining garlic and ginger over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broccoli, chicken stock, salt and pepper, and optional crushed red pepper flakes. Toss broccoli frequently for a few minutes until it's crisp tender; remove broccoli and pan juices from skillet and set aside.
Cook the Chicken:
- In the same skillet, heat another 2 tablespoons of peanut or canola oil and saute the chicken mixture until the chicken is cooked through, 4-5 minutes.
Assemble the Dish:
- Return the reserved broccoli to the skillet, including any juices that have collected. Stir the reserved cornstarch mixture and pour into the skillet; bring to a boil and stir until sauce thickens. If the sauce thickens too much, add a splash or two of chicken stock. Serve over rice.