Help! I can't stop eating these things. I'm not even kidding - they're totally addictive! Why have I waited so long to try them? Feel free to increase, decrease, or omit the cayenne to suit your taste.
Start by preheating the oven to 400F. Rinse and drain the canned chickpeas, then dry them well with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels. Place them o a rimmed half sheet pan and give the pan a shake to spread them out a bit. Pop in the hot oven for 15 minutes, then give the chickpeas a toss and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
Time to mix up the flavorings. Whisk together extra virgin olive oil (a good, fruity one), garlic salt, and cayenne pepper.
This teeny-tiny whisk makes me happy.
After the chickpeas have been in the oven for 30 minutes, drizzle the olive oil mixture over them and toss well to coat. Put them back in the oven for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool before crunching and munching on them.
I’m telling you, make extra because they’re going to disappear fast! But in the event you should find yourself with leftovers, store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
Roasted Chickpeas with a Kick
makes 2 cups
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and dried
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Dry rinsed chickpeas well and place on a rimmed half sheet pan.
- Roast in the center of preheated oven for 15 minutes; toss chickpeas and roast another 15 minutes.
- Combine olive oil, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper; drizzle over chickpeas and return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before serving.
Note: To make the chickpeas extra crispy, roast them for 15 minutes longer than stated in the recipe (for a grand total of 60 minutes), but watch them carefully so they don't burn.