What can I say, I love the salty, sweet, spicy heat flavors in this Asian-inspired bok choy. Not a fan of the heat? No problem, just omit the sriracha and you'll still have an awesome side dish that everyone will think came from the local take-out restaurant.
Start by prepping the bok choy by trimming the ends and separating the stalks. I like to get heads that are no longer than 8 inches in length. Sometimes there's a bit of dirt between the stalks so rinse them well.
Place the staking in a pan with 1/4-inch water and steam for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
Immediately rinse plunge the steamed bok choy in ice water to stop the cooking. Drain well.
Mince garlic and scallions.
Gather the ingredients to make the sauce - water, soy sauce, sugar, and corn starch.
Whisk the sauce ingredients together and set aside until needed.
In a skillet over medium-low heat, saute the garlic and scallions in some oil.
Saute, stirring constantly, just until the garlic started to turn golden brown.
Rewhisk the sauce ingredients and pour them into the skillet.
Stir rapidly until the sauce thickens.
Add the drained bok choy, stirring and tossing until heated through.
Salty, Sweet, Spicy-Heat Bok Choy
makes 4 servings
- 1/2 pound baby bok choy, washed, trimmed, and leaves separated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- t tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons scallions, finely chopped (whites and greens)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Sriracha (optional)
- In a large covered skillet, steam bok choy in 1/2-inch of water for 3-5 minutes until tender, rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and drain well; set aside until needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together water, soy sauce, sugar, and cornstarch until the sugar is dissolved; set aside until needed.
- Dry the skillet you steamed the bok choy in and add oil, heat the oil over medium-low heat, saute garlic and scallions for 1-2 minutes until very fragrant, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- Re-whisk soy sauce mixture and pour into skillet; stir or whisk vigorously until sauce forms.
- Immediately add steamed bok choy and toss well until heated through. Drizzle with Sriracha if desired.