Here's an excellent method for making oatmeal overnight in the fridge. A lot of overnight oatmeal recipes have a raw oat flavor that I don't care for, but these oats are made with a hot tea/milk mixture that eliminates that raw taste. I love the convenience of being able to serve freshly made oatmeal on a busy morning without having to stand at the stove, cooking and stirring. Simply pull these out of the fridge and eat them cold or, if you prefer, zap them in the microwave for a minute or so.
Overnight Tea Oats
makes 1 serving
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- pinch fine salt
- 1 tea bag (your favorite variety)
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- sweetener of your choice
- optional toppings: fresh fruit, nuts, dried fruit, etc
- Heat milk to scalding (just below the boiling point).
- Add tea bag and steep for 4 minutes; remove tea bag and discard.
- Stir in oats.
- Pour mixture into an airtight container; chill overnight.
- Serve hot or cold with your choice of sweetener and optional toppings (I used a sprinkling of brown sugar and sliced almonds in the photo above).
- Be sure to use your favorite tea - English Breakfast and Constant Comment are my current favorites. Chai is particularly nice in cooler weather.