I've tried a lot of zucchini bread recipes over the years, but I always come back to this one. It's a recipe my mother started making when I was in high school, and I have yet to find one I like better. It's flavorful and moist, like most zucchini breads, but the top crust of this particular recipe is special - delicately sweet and slightly crunchy. The recipe makes 2 loaves which is good because the first loaf usually disappears shortly after we start slicing it.
When shopping for zucchini, I like to get ones that are small to medium in size. You can definitely use large or even jumbo zucchini, but you may need to scrape out the seeds before grating.
My tips for beautiful bread each and every time - use commercial pans (my favorite) to prevent burning and spray the pans with oil/flour baking spray to prevent sticking (I wouldn't think of baking without this stuff).
Super scrummy! Full recipe at the the bottom of the page. Looking for more zucchini bread recipes? Here you go!
Grandma P's Zucchini Bread
makes two 8.5x4.5 (1 pound) loaves
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspopn baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and place rack in center position.
- Spray two 8.5x4.5 loaf pans with Baker's Joy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine zucchini, sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the zucchini mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pour batter evenly into loaf pans and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaves comes out clean.
- Remove loafs from oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before unmolding; cool completely on rack before slicing.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and store at room temperature for up to 48 hours or wrap in several layers of plastic and freeze for up to a month.