The end of summer is near and I couldn't let the season end without sharing a recipe for Matcha Ice Cream. Matcha is a finely milled Japanese green tea powder which is incredibly popular because it's high in antioxidants and has a sweet, intoxicating flavor and aroma. Oh yeah, and it's a superfood so there you go.
Dissolve the matcha powder in a little half and half until smooth.
If you have trouble getting all the lumps out...
Add a spoonful of sugar to help break up the lumps.
Add the dissolved matcha mixture, remaining half and half, and heavy cream to a good quality heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-high haet. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture starts to give off wisps of steam.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sugar and egg yolks well.
Vigorously whisk 1/2 cup of the hot matcha mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Repeat with an additional 1/2 cup of hot matcha mixture.
Return matcha and egg mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until it boils, begins to thicken, and coats the back of a spoon.
Remove from the heat and stir in pure vanilla extract, then strain the mixture through a sieve. For the best results, chill the mixture overnight before churning in an ice cream machine (follow manufacturer's instructions).
These items were used to make this recipe:
- my favorite ice cream maker (compressor model) http://amzn.to/2wrA87J
- less expensive ice cream maker http://amzn.to/2vSmAic
- best quality matcha powder http://amzn.to/2vSoW0c
- better value matcha powder http://amzn.to/2vSwnVh
- pure vanilla extract http://amzn.to/2vSoY8F
- my favorite flat whisk http://amzn.to/2xEsPIe
- heavy bottom saucepan http://amzn.to/2xEChvs
- my favorite ice cream scoop http://amzn.to/2wZqTNC
- ice cream storage containers http://amzn.to/2vzsbyi
Matcha Ice Cream
makes about 1 quart
- 1 tablespoon high quality matcha green tea powder (or more to taste)
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- pinch fine salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the matcha powder with 1/2 cup of half and half until smooth and no lumps remain (add a spoonful of the sugar to help break up the clumps if necessary).
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sugar, salt, and egg yolks; set aside.
- In a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the matcha mixture, remaining half and half, and heavy cream; cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture is heated to the point where it begins to steam.
- Quickly whisk 1/2 cup of the hot ice cream base into the egg yolk mixture until completely combined; repeat with another 1/2 cup of the hot ice cream base.
- Pour the now warmed matcha mixture into the saucepan that contains the hot ice cream base.
- Resume cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in pure vanilla extract.
- Strain mixture through a sieve and chill thoroughly before churning.
- When mixture is completely chilled, churn in ice cream maker following manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and store in freezer.