Mother's day is just around the corner and I can't think of a better way to pamper Mom for all she does than to serve her these amazing STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM OATS. They're a little bit healthy, a little bit indulgent, and completely over-the-top divine! I promise, she's going to love every bite!
Ok, this is going to be really easy. Start by placing sliced fresh strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Toss them well and set aside until we need them again.
Place the water and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add the old fashioned oats. Pinhead oats, steel cut oats, and/or groats are also excellent, but they take much longer to cook so be sure to follow the instructions on the package.
Definitely avoid instant oats - they cook up very mushy and kind of flavorless. Mom will use them when she bakes.
Bring the water, salt, and oats to a gentle boil, stirring frequently to keep the oats from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Stir, stir, stir.... it won't be long... just a few minutes.
Look, it's only been a few minutes and we're almost there.
Perfection! Now here's where we take dull, boring oatmeal and turn it into something spectacular! Remove the oats from the heat and stir in the following:
Brown sugar - mmmmm!
And the very best pure vanilla extract you have - double mmmmm!
I'm telling you, if you stop right here you'll have the best bowl of oatmeal ever, but we're going to take it over the top.
Give the strawberries you prepared earlier a stir - the sugar we added to them will have turned them a deep ruby color and they should be all nice and juicy. Spoon a generous portion over Mom's oatmeal and drizzle liberally with heavy cream.
Now get ready, Mom's going to be amazed.
Strawberries and Cream Oats
makes 4 servings
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 cups water
- pinch of fine salt
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (light or dark)
- heavy cream for drizzling
To make the Strawberry Topping:
- Place sliced strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Toss well and set aside until needed.
To make the Oatmeal:
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the old fashioned oats, water, and salt.
- Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and brown sugar.
- Serve oatmeal with strawberry topping and drizzle with heavy cream.