I love asparagus, especially pencil thin asparagus. Because they're so thin, they can be a little difficult to roast, but if you do so quickly at a very high temperature, you'll be very pleased with the results.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound skinny asparagus, ends trimmed (about the same width as a pencil)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- drizzle of excellent quality balsamic vinegar
- parmesan shavings
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Place prepared asparagus on a half sheet pan.
- Drizzle asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper; toss to coat well.
- Arrange asparagus evenly in pan (it's ok if they overlap one another).
- Roast uncovered for 10-12 minutes until the asparagus begin to shrivel and caramelize on the edges.
- Arrange on serving platter and finish with a drizzle of balsamic and sprinkle with shaved parmesan.