It's time for this month's Secret Recipe Club, where a group of food bloggers, choose a recipe from a fellow blogger, then we make and share our results. It's a lot of fun and a great way to meet new bloggers.
This month I was assigned the blog Searching for Spice by Cornina. I don't know where Corina lives, but her blog is charming and she sets her oven to celsius, measures ingredients in grams and mils, and she uses terms like rasher (bacon), tomato puree (tomato paste), and mince meat (ground beef). I'm guessing she's somewhere in the UK, but I don't know for sure. What I do know for sure is that we loved this dish. The bacon adds the most wonderful flavor and we gobbled it up. I can't wait to use it as a filling for stuffed peppers some day. Thanks for the great recipe, Cornina!
We'll start by chopping some "rashers" (aka slices) of streaky bacon.
Saute the bacon in an oven-proof pan until it browns.
Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, and minced garlic.
Continue to saute until the onions and peppers are soft and tender, stirring frequently to keep the garlic from burning.
Add the "mince" (aka ground beef) and continue to saute until the beef is cooked through.
Ready for the next step.
Add the rice and stir for a minute or so.
Next we'll need chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. Have you found tomato paste in a tube yet? It's so much easier to use than the canned stuff.
I like to cook the tomato paste a little before adding anything else.
Add the remaining ingredients - tomatoes, beef stock, dried basil, and ground black pepper.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn the heat off.
Cover the pan and place it in a preheated 180C oven (356F) for about 30 minutes.
I added a few fresh basil leaves just before serving - it was super tasty. We also discovered a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese finishes this dish off well. It would work well as a filling for stuffed peppers too.
Beef and Tomato Bake
makes 4 servings
- 8 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 500g ground beef (just over 1 pound)
- 200g uncooked white rice (about 1 cup)
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 beef stock cube dissolved in 300ml water (or 1 1/4 cups beef stock)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 355F.
- Saute bacon in an oven-safe pan over medium high heat until brown.
- Add onions, peppers, and garlic; continue to saute until the onions and peppers soften.
- Add the rice the cook for about a minute, then add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, remove from heat and cover.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes.
adapted from Searching for Spice.