You don't need to live in the big city to enjoy Lox, Eggs, and Onions. This diner classic is super simple to make and bumps up ordinary scrambled eggs to something simply spectacular. Here's how to make it.
Start by melting some butter in a large skillet.
Add a sliced onion and sprinkle with a little kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
Stir frequently over medium-low heat until the onions reach the level of caramelization you like. I wish you were here so you could smell the deliciousness.
I actually like my onions caramelized a little more than this, but I can't stand it, the smell is so good. I'm too impatient to wait any longer so I'll move to the next step.
Lower the heat and add the beaten egg.
Immediately start stirring and continue stirring until the eggs are almost done.
We're getting close! Another 30 seconds and the eggs will be ready for the smoked salmon.
Yep, time for the salmon. Stir everything together for about 30 seconds and it'll be time to dig in.
Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve straight up or on toast. Then sit back and dream about the next time you can enjoy this awesome yumminess. You're welcome.
Lox, Eggs, and Onions
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, chopped
- chopped chives for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter and add onions, salt, and pepper.
- Stirring fre butter, stirring frequently, until the onions reach the level of caramelization you like (mine took about 15 minutes).
- Lower heat to low and add beaten eggs, stir constantly until the eggs are almost done to your liking.
- Add smoked salmon and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with chopped chives. Serve immediately.