Here's a phenomenal recipe for sweet and smoky pulled pork that's a breeze to make. All you need to do is toss the ingredients together in a dutch oven and let it braise for 6 hours until the roast is falling apart delish. You'll have a hard time fighting the crowds away with this one.
Sweet and Spicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 5 to 7 pound pork shoulder (aka Boston butt roast)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 7.5-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cans Dr. Pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Place sliced onions in bottom of a 5.5-quart Dutch Oven.
- Place roast on onions and sprinkle liberally with Kosher salt and pepper.
- Pour chipotle peppers and the adobo sauce on top of the roast.
- Pour both cans of Dr. Pepper over the roast.
- Place brown sugar and garlic cloves down into the Dr. Pepper.
- Cover Dutch oven with tight fitting lid.
- Place in oven for a total of 6 hours; turning roast over at 2 hours and 4 hours.
- Remove pork from dutch oven and shred meat with 2 forks, discarding large globs of fat.
- Remove rendered fat from pan juices; discard (don't put this down your drain!!).
- Remove onions and chipotle peppers from pan juices and chop finely; return to juice.
- Place shredded pork back in the pan juices and serve.
Note: I've doubled this recipe in a gigantic 13.25-quart dutch oven (great if you have a huge crowd to feed, but it's very, very heavy so you may need a strong person to lift it in and out of the oven for you).
adapted from The Pioneer Woman.