The outdoor temperatures have begun to drop and plums are in season. That means I can start cooking and baking more comfort foods. Crisps fall into that category for me. They're so simple to make, and let's be honest, who doesn't love sweet bubbling fruit covered in a blanket of crisp crumb topping?
Individual Plum Crisps
- 2 pounds ripe plums, pitted and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a medium bowl, toss the sliced plums with sugar, corn starch, and vanilla bean paste until plums are evenly coated; set aside while you prepare the crumb topping.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter in to the flour mixture until pea-size clumps form.
- Place four 5-inch diameter individual pie dishes on a half sheet pan.
- Divide the plums evenly among the pie dishes.
- Likewise, divide crumb topping evenly among the pie dishes.
- Bake in the center of preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the juices bubble and the topping turns golden brown.
We like to enjoy these crisps drizzled with heavy cream.