Here's a delicious breakfast burrito recipe your family is going to love. I like to stock the freezer with a batch or two so my husband and teenagers can help themselves whenever the mood strikes. All they have to do is heat one up in the microwave and they have a hot, portable meal that I didn't have to drop everything to make because someone was starving to death. Best part - no clean up. The recipe below is how I like to make them, but feel free to tweak the ingredients to suit your family's taste.
Saute the bell peppers, scallions, mushrooms, turkey bacon, and a pinch of salt in the oil and butter for 10-15 minutes until the veggies caramelize and shrink down in size, and all the liquid that comes out of them evaporates.
Lower the heat to medium-low and add the beaten eggs, salt, and pepper.
Cook, stirring frequently, until the eggs are just cooked through. Remove them from the pan to prevent them from overcooking.
Try not to eat all they eggs yet... it'll be hard!
Place 1/2 cup of the egg mixture in the center of a tortilla.
Top with 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
Fold the left and right sides up and over the filling like this.
Then fold the bottom part of the tortilla up like this.
Roll away from you so the folds are on the underside.
Repeat until you have 8 burritos.
Wrap each in plastic wrap.
I love my label maker.
Freezer Breakfast Burritos Supreme
Makes 8 burritos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 3/4 cup chopped white mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped turkey bacon, uncooked
- 1 cup beaten eggs (about 12-14 extra large eggs)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 8-inch whole wheat flour tortillas
- garnish: a little extra cheddar cheese, chopped scallions, and your favorite hot sauce (we like Sriracha)
- In a large, non-stick pan over medium-high heat, saute the bell peppers, scallions, mushrooms, and turkey bacon with a pinch of salt in the oil and butter for 10-15 minutes until the veggies caramelize and shrink down in size, and all the liquid that comes out of them evaporates.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and add the beaten eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the eggs are just cooked through.
- Remove from pan to prevent them from overcooking.
- Cool eggs to room temp before placing 1/2 cup of the mixture in the center of an 8-inch flour tortilla followed by 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Fold the left and right thirds of the tortilla up and over the filling, leaving about 1 inch of space between them (as shown).
- Bring the bottom third of the tortilla up and over the filling, and finish by rolling the burrito away from you to complete the last fold.
- Wrap each burrito with plastic wrap, then place in a freezer bag before freezing.
To reheat, simple unwrap frozen burrito and place it on a microwave safe plate covered with a paper towel. Heat until contents are warmed through and cheese is melted. I like to garnish with a little shredded cheddar cheese, a sprinkling of chopped scallions, and a drizzle of Sriracha. Enjoy!