Remember the Vanilla Roasted Strawberries I made a few weeks ago? The ones I said tasted like strawberries on steroids? Well, I used them to make Roasted Strawberry Gelato which turned out absolutely Delizioso. I hope you'll give both recipes a try.
Roasted Strawberry Gelato
makes 1 quart
- 2 ¼ cups whole milk
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup Vanilla Roasted Strawberries
- Place the roasted strawberries in a food processor or blender and grind them as fine or as lumpy as you like; set aside.
- Put 1 1/4 cups of milk, cream, and vanilla bean into a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat over medium heat until bubbles appear around the edge of the pan, just before the mixture is about to boil.
- Put the remaining 1 cup of milk, cornstarch and salt into a small bowl and stir until well combined.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in cornstarch mixture.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens slightly (8-10 minutes); remove from heat.
- Put egg yolk into a medium bowl and slowly whisk 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the yolk, whisking constantly, then gradually add mixture back into the hot milk in the saucepan.
- Stir in strawberries and refrigerate mixture in an airtight container for 4-48 hours.
- Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions (the Breville Smart Scoop rocks!).
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze. Allow to sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes before serving.