I found this copycat recipe online - it really does taste remarkably similar to Wendy's Chili, only it's a bit heartier than what I usually get when I hit my local drive-thru. Be warned, this recipe makes a ton - it'll fill a 5.5-quart dutch oven almost to the rim. Add cheese or sour cream if you like, but they're really not needed here.
Just Like Wendy's Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pound ground beef
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 14-ounce cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 1.25-ounce packets of chili seasoning mix (or use my DIY recipe below)
- 1 14-ounce can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 14-ounce can navy beans, undrained
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, undrained
- 1 14-ounce can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Brown ground beef with salt and pepper until cooked through, stirring frequently to break up clumps.
- Stir in celery, onion, and green bell peppers; cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent.
- Add stewed tomatoes, rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce and water.
- Stir in dried parsley, cumin, and chili seasoning.
- Add undrained beans and stir to combine.
- Heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in vinegar just before serving.
DIY Chili Seasoning Mix
makes approx 2 packets of chili seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place ingredients in a blender, food processor, or spice grinder and blitz to combine.
adapted from allrecipes.com