I recently entered a recipe contest featuring frozen pound cake. I didn't win the contest, but I had fun spending the morning in the kitchen coming up with this creation. Here's my entry:
Coffee Toffee Mocha Crunch Cake
Prep Time: 1 hour
makes 6 servings
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
Espresso Cream Filling:
- 1 cup heavy cream, well chilled
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup English toffee bits
- 16-ounce freezer pound cake, thawed
- 1 tablespoon English toffee bits for garnish
To Make the Mocha Ganache:
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the cream until small bubbles appear around the edges of the pan.
- Remove from heat and stir in espresso powder and chocolate chips.
- Allow the mixture to sit for about 5 minutes, then stir until smooth and glossy.
- Pour mixture into a glass measure with a pour spout; set aside uncovered at room temperature to cool and thicken slightly.
To Make the Espresso Cream Filling:
- Place cream, sugar, espresso powder, and vanilla extract into a chilled bowl and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Cover bowl with plastic and refrigerate until needed.
To Assemble the Cake:
- Trim 1/4-inch from each end of the thawed cake.
- Cut the remaining cake vertically into 6 equal portions about 1 1/2-inches wide; then cut each portion horizontally into 3 layers.
- Place the bottom layer of each portion onto a freezer-safe platter or individual dessert plates and pipe a decorative layer of Espresso Cream Filling using a pastry bag fitted with a star tip, then sprinkle 1 teaspoon of toffee bits on each.
- Gently place the middle layer on top of the toffee bits, being careful not to squash the decorative piping.
- Place in freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- Remove from freezer and pipe another decorative layer of Mocha Cream Filling onto each portion, sprinkle each with another teaspoon of toffee bits, and gently place the top layer of pound cake on top of the toffee bits, again, being careful not to squash the decorative piping; return to freezer for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and drizzle Mocha Ganache over each portions and garnish with extra toffee bits. Serve immediately.