I recently discovered precooked black barley in the freezer section of my grocery store so I bought it and used it to make this refreshing chopped salad. It was so good, my girls and I were fighting over the last serving. If you've never had Jicama, it's a slightly sweet, mild flavored, very moist, and very crunchy root vegetable from Mexico - very high in Fiber and Vitamin C. If you can't find precooked barley, I've included directions for cooking dried barley below.
Black Barley Salad
- 2 10-ounce bags cooked black barley, thawed (about 2 1/2 cups, but more would be fine)
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup of diced jimaca
- 1/4 cup of crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup of your favorite vinaigrette (I love, love, love, love, love Girard's Light Champagne Vinaigrette)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Toss ingredients together and enjoy!
- To cook dry black barley - Rinse 1 cup of dry black barley with cold water and place it in a heavy bottom saucepan with 5 cups of water or broth and salt if desired. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 45-60 minutes, or until tender. Drain if necessary. Makes about 3 1/2 cups