We love pistachios so I knew I wanted to give this recipe a try when I found it over at Bon Appetit. I thought about dipping the finished cookies in melted chocolate, but opted for this variation instead. The chips are placed right after the cookies come out of the oven - the heat of the warm cookies is enough to melt the chips right in place.
makes 32 cookies
adapted from Bon Appetit
- 4 1/2 ounces (126g) shelled, unsalted pistachios
- 5 1/4 ounces (150g) granulated sugar
- 6 1/8 ounces (173g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (6g) fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (6g) pure almond extract
- 8 tablespoons (113g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (30g) ice cold water
- optional: 98 chocolate chips (3 per cookies)
- Process pistachios and sugar in the bowl of a food processor until finely ground.
- Transfer mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater (I love my Beater Blade); add flour, salt, almond extract, butter, and water.
- Mix just until thoroughly combined.
- Roll dough into an 8x12-inch rectangle on parchment or wax paper.
- Using a pizza wheel, cut the dough lengthwise into 8 strips, then cut crosswise into 4 strips.
- Slide parchment or wax paper onto flat surface (like an upside down sheet pan) and chill dough for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the cookies, leaving about an inch of space between each, on 2 silpat-lined sheet pans and bake one pan at a time for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place 3 chocolate chips on each cookie if desired. Cool completely.