I found a set of 10 individual glass pie plates and thought they were so cute I bought them immediately. I wasn't sure what to bake in them first, but then I found the most luscious blackberries at the market so I decided on mini crumbles. Look at how cute they were when I pulled them out of the oven - and everyone loved being served their own mini pie plate. I can't wait to use them again - maybe mini chicken pot pies next time :).
Mini Blackberry Crumbles
recipe makes 6 individual pies
- 1 pound blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Divide the blackberries evenly into 6 mini pie plates and place on a rimmed sheet pan (I used a 10x15 jelly roll pan).
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, cornstarch, water, and lemon juice; pour evenly over the berries.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, salt, cinnamon, flour, and brown sugar until well combined.
- Use a pastry blender, or two knives, to cut the butter into the oat mixture until it resembles pea-size crumbs; distribute evenly over the berries.
- Bake on the center rack of a preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the juices are bubbling and the crumb topping is golden brown. Serve with a drizzle of heavy cream, a dollop of whipped cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.