This soup is so creamy and flavorful, you'll have a hard time convincing anyone it's "skinny".
Skinny Cream of Broccoli Soup
Serves 4, recipe adapted from Simple Success
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 cups small broccoli florets (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (try my homemade recipe)
- 2 cups skim milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: shredded cheddar, croutons, oven roasted broccoli spears
- In a 6-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute broccoli and onions in olive oil for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until they begin to soften and caramelize.
- Add garlic and saute for about 3 minutes more; stirring constantly.
- Add flour and stir until vegetables are coated.
- Add chicken stock and milk and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before pureeing. Garnish if desired. Serves 4. Adapted from Simple Success.
Nutritional Stats Per Serving
- (1 cup of soup plus 1 slice of 100 calorie whole grain bread)
- 260 calories
- 8g fat
- 3g saturated fat
- 15g protein
- 38g carbohydrates
- 11g fiber
- 10g sugar
- 430mg sodium