So what do you do with leftover mashed potatoes? Make deep-fried mashed potato balls stuffed with tasty mozzarella!
Event - Crazy Cooking Challenge hosted by Tina
Challenge - make a recipe from any blog to fit this month's theme (mashed potatoes)
Recipe and Blog I chose to feature - Mozzarella and Mashed Potato Balls from Casa Veneracion.
My Tweaks (reflected below) - Italian seasoned bread crumbs have way more flavor than the Panko bread crumbs originally called for in the recipe.
Fried Mozzarella and Potato Balls
- 1 1/2 cups well-seasoned mashed potatoes (cool and very firm)
- 10 1/2-inch cubes mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs (or Panko bread crumbs, finely ground)
- 2 cups canola oil
- Divide mashed potatoes into 10 equal portions and roll into bite-size balls.
- Insert mozzarella cubes into the center of the potato balls.
- Roll balls into beaten egg, then into finely ground Panko bread crumbs.
- Allow coated potato balls to rest for at least 15 minutes to allow coating to set.
- In the meantime, heat the canola oil in a heavy bottomed pot over med-high heat. The original recipe doesn't specify what temperature the oil should be heated to, but I found through trial and error that a temperature of 380-400 was ideal for frying the potato balls quickly (about a minute) before the mozzarella cheese starts to ooze out.
- Drain and serve immediately.
Notes: Be sure the mashed potatoes you use to makes these are very dry and firm - and flavorful, of course!