Hello Friends! Fellow blogger Laura Powell from Real Mom Kitchen has just completed a cookbook - Congratulations Laura!! Her blog is full of tempting recipes and her cookbook doesn't fail to do exactly the same. I chose to make Laura's yummy 'Mom's Orange Rolls' to share with you today. Laura writes, "This recipe is one of my absolute, all-time favorite roll recipes. This recipe comes from my mom and she's been making them as long as I can remember. These rolls often make it to the Thanksgiving dinner table. The dough is made the night before and kept in the fridge."
"With easy recipes from the award-winning blog Real Mom Kitchen, you can play chauffeur and still have a homemade dinner with your family. Using real food that real people eat, Laura Powell shares her convenient and yummy recipes so that you too can be "Keepin' it real in the kitchen." They're sure to be loved by the whole family"!
Mom's Orange Rolls
makes 24 rolls
adapted from Real Mom Kitchen Cookbook by Laura Powell
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 packages yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4-4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of fine salt
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- In a large bowl, combine water and yeast; let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a saucepan; add sugar and hot water.
- Combine butter mixture with yeast mixture, then add in eggs and flour until well combined.
- Cover bowl well with plastic wrap and let dough rest in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, spray muffin pan(s) with Baker's Joy.
- Divide dough into two equal portions.
- On a lightly floured (or oiled) surface, roll each ball of dough into a 9x13-inch rectangle.
- Mix together filling ingredients and spread mixture evenly over both rectangles.
- Roll up dough from one long side to the other long side.
- Cut each roll into 12 pieces and place in a greased muffin pan; rise 3-4 hours (preheat oven to 375F at least 30 minutes before baking)
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing orange rolls from pan(s).
- In a small bowl, whisk together frosting ingredients and spread on top of warm rolls.
My Notes - the dough is very soft, but it will firm and be more workable after chilling overnight in the fridge. I like to roll my dough on a lightly oiled surface instead of a floured surface. The recipe can easily be divided in half for a smaller batch.