Apple Butter Spice Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup apple butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup wheat germ or whole bran cereal
- 1 cup sour cream
Crumb Mixture: (double for a 9x13 cake)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated whole nutmeg (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- pinch fine salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare cake pan by spraying with Baker's Joy non-stick baking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the crumb mixture together; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and white sugar together for a couple of minutes.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Add apple butter, vanilla, and wheat germ; beat well.
- Add 1/3 of the reserved flour mixture, mix to incorporate.
- Add 1/2 of the sour cream, mix.
- Add 1/3 flour mixture, mix.
- Add remaining 1/2 of the sour cream, mix.
- Finish with the last 1/3 of the flour mixture.
- Pour about 1/2 the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture on and top with the remaining batter.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes on a cooling rack before removing from pan to finish cooling completely.
- To make a 9x13, double the ingredients for the crumb mixture. Pour half the batter into the pan, add half the crumb mixture, top with the remaining cake batter, and lastly, sprinkle the other half of the crumb mixture on top. Bake for a total of about 40 minutes.
- If using whole nutmeg, grate with a microplane grater.