The outside temperature has taken a dive and I spent most of the day warding off a chill with thoughts of a toasty grilled cheese sandwich and comforting bowl of steamy tomato soup for dinner. Oh yeah, that was going to fix me up! Of course I didn't realize there was no tomato soup in the pantry. When dinner time arrived I found diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato puree, sun dried tomatoes... even ro-tel tomatoes, but not one single can of simple tomato soup. So I surveyed the ingredients at hand, threw a few things together, and this is what I came up with - an incredibly delicious version which only took about 10 minutes to make. I hope you'll give it a try.
10 Minute Cream of Tomato Soup
- 28 ounce can of San Marzano crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried granulated onion or onion powder (not onion salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed (not celery salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- basil oil for garnish
- Combine all ingredient together in a medium saucepan and heat; stirring occasionally.
- Drizzle with basil oil and serve.
Note: for silky smooth soup, puree in blender before serving.